Thursday, May 14, 2009

Horror

Ok, I have to pause what I'm doing, I have to stop for the night. It's just too much. I've spent the last half hour crying my eyes out watching the first three parts of an 11 part documentary called Earthlings that exposes the raw, horribly gritty details of the animal industry and human "dependence" on animals. It's just too much. I can't even watch half of it. I want to throw up. How can people do this to animals? How can they do it without flinching? The way animals are treated, slaughtered... The word "evil" comes to mind when I watch this. I could never support these industries ever again, ever. And while I still hold to my decision to not judge people or be critical of people who continue to eat meat - and thereby support the cruelty of these industries that needlessly torture animals - I now feel it is much more important to SHOW people what they are supporting, to let them know how evil and violent and cruel the lifestyle is that they lead, that they depend on. I don't expect the world to become a better place by my efforts, but I can't just let people live blissfully in ignorance of how sickening the process is. If people decide they just can't live without their hamburgers, eggs, cheese, bacon, whatever, then fine, but I want them to make that choice KNOWING that that "food" came from living, breathing, bleeding creatures that felt pain and suffering, and had to DIE for the pleasure of humans. If the people I know can live with themselves knowing that, then there is nothing else to do, and I can try to be at peace with that. But just like I feel strongly about telling people about the grace of God given through Jesus Christ and giving them the choice of knowing Him, I want to show people the choice of living a life filled with cruelty and suffering, or one of peace and compassion. I don't know if I've ever felt as passionate about veganism and animal rights as I do right now, but what I just spend the last half hour watching has made me too sick to finish the rest right now and I am going to cry myself to sleep. It has always hurt me to see people being treated unfairly or cruelly for any reason, whether it was a defendable reason or not, but this video has really opened my eyes to the horror that animals are put through every day as if they were meaningless objects here on this earth for nothing more than to serve humans at any cost. That to me ranks with the rest of the evils in this world that humans commit against other humans, and the only thing I can say now is that there is no absolutely no way in this life that I could ever be tempted to consume any product of any kind that includes some form of animal product or animal cruelty. I just cannot in good conscience contribute to such horrific brutality.
Here is the link to the documentary:
Earthlings Part 1
I am encouraging everyone to watch at least a small part of this just so that you can know where I stand and why. I've only listened to the first three parts (I can only watch so much), but I will continue the rest tomorrow when my nerves and stomach are more settled. I think so far the third was the most traumatic for me, the one about farm animals.
Anyway, I love you all, God bless and have a great Friday tomorrow!

1 comments:

Sketched on a Canvas said...

I agree that animal cruelty is wrong, but with my decision to eat meat, I understand that the animals do in fact have to die in order to be eaten. I believe that there are humane and inhumane ways to go about it. From what I watched (which wasn't very much) I only saw inhumane ways. It did indeed break my heart to see people so careless kill an animal with there are ways to cause it to die in a less inhumane manner. I'm not going to research any, mainly because I don't even like hearing stories about my own bleeding.

I still respect where you are coming from and I trust that you'll respect us omnivores as well <3